Hi again! I am so, so happy to be posting today about a finished quilt! I really do not seem to finish as many projects as I wish I did, so it’s always a thrill to put the final touches on a quilt. One of favorite moments of quilting is getting the newly finished project out of the dryer and either snuggling underneath it or packing it up so I can give it away.
This finish is a gift for my boss and his wife, who recently adopted a gorgeous baby girl, Caroline, their second. I was much better about getting a quilt ready for their first daughter, Pixie, but I guess I’m just glad to have this finished while Caroline is still a baby.
I previously posted about some of my process of putting together the top, but kind of quickly moved through making the back, basting it and then doing the quilting and binding. Or at least haven’t blogged about all those steps. Anyway, here it is.
You can’t see it well in this photo, but I did a cool scrappy binding with various red and turquoise strips, including some fabric with a cross-hatched design that went perfectly with the panels. The fabrics didn’t come in the same line, but was just a lucky discovery in my stash.
I was really happy with how the back turned out (dare I say I almost like the back more than the front?), but happened to have it turn out a bit crooked. Whoops.
I was able to use a few leftover animal blocks that Jim made for a baby quilt for one of his friends recently! The colors went great with what I was using and the size was perfect. I especially love the cute little monkeys!
I also used a few scraps leftover from the quilt I made for Pixie! It was the yellow with hello in a bunch of foreign languages.
I quilted it with white thread in an all-over curly meandering design, and hand-stitched the binding down on the back. I didn’t take exact measurements (whoops again), but it turned out about 33 inches by 45 inches. And it all came from my stash, including a number of scraps. Yay!
On to the next work in progress!