Problem and Solution

Our apartment has an Eastern exposure which we love;however there is a small issue with the early morning sun coming through our window.

Image

I had been rigging a temporary curtain to block it, but took it down every day.  Christy wanted me to show it, but it was way too ugly for me to post here.  Needless to say I wanted to fix the problem more elegantly.  I decided to quilt a window covering.

Image

Christy and I decided on white with green and purple blocks.  Here’s the first block coming together.  As i progressed I decided on a layout on our design wall.

Image

Finally I got it pieced and layered.  Initially I was going to use straps to hang the shade as you can see from this pre-quilted photo, but I didn’t like the look of the straps.

window3

Christy is doing the hand sewing on the binding so I will wait to show you the finished product and tell you about the hanging solution we came up with when it’s done.

 

— Salty Jim

Covering my Kindle, or alternately titled, How to gather 8 pounds of fabric when you need about 8 ounces

I’ve currently been working on making a couple of quilted Kindle covers as gifts and I thought I’d write about the first one I made a while ago.

While sorting through some of my quilting and crafting photos, I found a series I took when I was in the planning stage of my Kindle sleeve. As you’ll understand when you see the photos, I totally cracked up when I saw the photo of the (gigantic) fabric pile I put together for this (really small) project.

ImageI

I decided to feature a fussy-cut piece of a cool typewriter fabric and use pink, turquoise and gray as my main colors. As you may have noticed, I pulled quite a bit of fabric for a project that’s about the size of a small book. I always seem to do this for every project: find it completely necessary to go through a big portion of my fabric stash and pull any fabrics that might work, way overestimating what I will actually use. It’s not really shown here, but I also like to go through my scraps and do the same, so in this instance, very little of the above fabric actually made the final cut. If it’s not obvious, I love the planning stage, especially picking out fabrics.

I made the front and back panels into improvisational pieced log cabins and then quilted them with a loopy squiggle. For the closure, I just used a fuchsia ponytail holder and a button.

Image

Image

This project uses some of my favorite fabrics: polka dots and anything with letters. It was a lot of fun to make and not very time-consuming, either! When I post about the other Kindle covers I’m making, I’ll show what I’m doing the same and different, and what is working better or not as well.

— Christy