Christy was in need of a pillow to rest her feet on at work. So.. Da dada daaa!! Jim to the rescue!!
I added some eyeholes for ribbon to be threaded through for her to tie the pillow to a crate for a custom footrest.
Happy resting honey!
— Salty Jim
Our apartment has an Eastern exposure which we love;however there is a small issue with the early morning sun coming through our window.
I had been rigging a temporary curtain to block it, but took it down every day. Christy wanted me to show it, but it was way too ugly for me to post here. Needless to say I wanted to fix the problem more elegantly. I decided to quilt a window covering.
Christy and I decided on white with green and purple blocks. Here’s the first block coming together. As i progressed I decided on a layout on our design wall.
Finally I got it pieced and layered. Initially I was going to use straps to hang the shade as you can see from this pre-quilted photo, but I didn’t like the look of the straps.
Christy is doing the hand sewing on the binding so I will wait to show you the finished product and tell you about the hanging solution we came up with when it’s done.
— Salty Jim
In the second installment of my bag series, I went back to the first bag I ever made. This is a cutting board tote I made for Christy.
I decided to make this after helping Christy get ready for a weekend with her quilting guild. She didn’t have anything to help carry the many rulers and flat items such as cutting boards. It was made with freestyle piecing with many sewing/quilting related fabrics.
I made the top to look like a classic yellow ruler by appliqueing some black strips to look like measurement increments.
The long pocket in the front is made to hold the long ruler and has a cute button to keep it closed.
All in all this was much easier than I though it would be to make. It was a fun project. Stay tuned for a more nerdy bag in the next installment.
— Salty Jim
While I am relatively new to quilting and sewing, I have been adventurous in the types of projects I have taken on. One thing I really enjoy making is bags. Over the next week I hope to chronicle the different bag projects I have finished over the last 12 months.
The first bag I want to share is a simple drawstring bag I made this past winter. This is great to hold dice, buttons, or small toiletries. In addition you can make custom gift bags.
This was a pretty simple design. As you can see the bag is lined and has a draw string closure.
Stay tuned for more bags later this week.
So in my previous post you will notice that I was far from content with the owl that I made.
Christy was able to modify her construction as I discovered issues with mine. The instructions were far from perfect, but one of the issues could have been a choice of materials. By choosing design fabrics I may have been sacrificing one important inherent quality of felt – pliability. Christy’s owl was plumper than mine and thus much more stable and also just looked less anemic.
Enter my need to modify the pattern to make a more stable end product given my choice of materials.
As you can see the modified design is more stable. I made the base of the front and back wider. I also made the sides wider at the base. Also the wings, eyes, and beak were all sewn on prior to stuffing and closing the body. I think you will all agree that the modified design will be more functional, though the original does have his own personality.
So as this past weekend approached we decided to have a craft day to jump start our recent lethargy of crafting. We have had a pattern for this pin cushion…
We had some different fabrics. I chose a mix of sample decor fabrics and Christy was using some felted sweaters … Keep this in mind as you see the end results. :-\ Christy’s turned out much better than mine though I claim the right to be the sacrificial owl so to speak as I was ahead of her in destruction. 😛
I have been craving some wings…
The body comes together
And the winner is… Penelope.
— Jim & Christy
I started this quilt a few months back. I have a light side and dark side. It was nice to be able to meld my two hobbies. This quilt was made from some Star Wars fabric I picked up and several tee shirts. I still have some work to do, but it’s layered and pinned. I have to admit I am a bit daunted by the prospect of quilting this large quilt. Wish me luck!!