Problem and Solution

Our apartment has an Eastern exposure which we love;however there is a small issue with the early morning sun coming through our window.

Image

I had been rigging a temporary curtain to block it, but took it down every day.  Christy wanted me to show it, but it was way too ugly for me to post here.  Needless to say I wanted to fix the problem more elegantly.  I decided to quilt a window covering.

Image

Christy and I decided on white with green and purple blocks.  Here’s the first block coming together.  As i progressed I decided on a layout on our design wall.

Image

Finally I got it pieced and layered.  Initially I was going to use straps to hang the shade as you can see from this pre-quilted photo, but I didn’t like the look of the straps.

window3

Christy is doing the hand sewing on the binding so I will wait to show you the finished product and tell you about the hanging solution we came up with when it’s done.

 

— Salty Jim

Advertisements

Owl’s well that ends well….

So in my previous post you will notice that I was far from content with the owl that I made.

Image

Christy was able to modify her construction as I discovered issues with mine.  The instructions were far from perfect, but one of the issues could have been a choice of materials.  By choosing design fabrics I may have been sacrificing one important inherent quality of felt – pliability.  Christy’s owl was plumper than mine and thus much more stable and also just looked less anemic.

Enter my need to modify the pattern to make a more stable end product given my choice of materials.

Image

Image

Image

As you can see the modified design is more stable.  I made the base of the front and back wider.  I also made the sides wider at the base.  Also the wings, eyes, and beak were all sewn on prior to stuffing and closing the body. I think you will all agree that the modified design will be more functional, though the original does have his own personality.

 

– Jim

 

 

 

More Craft Day Projects!!

So as this past weekend approached we decided to have a craft day to jump start our recent lethargy of crafting.  We have had a pattern for this pin cushion…

Image

We had some different fabrics.  I chose a mix of sample decor fabrics and Christy was using some felted sweaters … Keep this in mind as you see the end results.  :-\  Christy’s turned out much better than mine though I claim the right to be the sacrificial owl so to speak as I was ahead of her in destruction.  😛

Image

I have been craving some wings…

Image

Image

The body comes together

Image

Image

Image

Percy!

Image

Image

And the winner is… Penelope.

Image

— Jim & Christy